Home searching can be frustrating and we are here to help. We at Woodside have created a simple planning guide to navigate you towards the best gated communities in South Carolina.
Most people begin their search for an ideal gated community with two priorities in mind, cost and quality of living. Use the table below to help narrow your search of finding a community within your budget.
|Region||COST OF LIVING (WHERE 1 IS THE LOWEST) *per Aparna Mathur, Economist|
At Woodside, we know the cost of living is essential. Luckily for us, Aiken, SC is 14-60% less than most metropolitan areas and as much as 40% less than other popular retiree destinations, including the coast and mountains. Besides being an affordable place to live, South Carolina also boasts the 7th lowest property taxes in the country, exempts Social Security benefits from state income taxes, and there’s a $15,000 deduction for people that are 65+ and receiving any other type of retirement income. See here for more generous exemptions on retirement and fixed incomes.
Find your lifestyle
Once you have determined the best region to fit your budget, you can now consider the lifestyle and amenities you desire most. Here is a small list of questions to help direct you towards finding a region to fit your interests.
- Do you want to be in a large city or do you prefer a smaller town within close driving distance to more metropolitan areas? Consider how much traffic you’re willing to live with and how open you are to a city whose industry is built on tourism.
- Do you enjoy cultural experiences like concerts, performances, and art shows? Be sure to choose an area that offers these opportunities. While some regions have appealing communities, there are often few cultural experiences to enjoy outside the community’s gates.
- Research your healthcare options. Search nearby healthcare facilities and make sure they offer the high-quality healthcare options you desire.
- Would you prefer to live near a college or university? (More folks are narrowing choices to towns with colleges thanks to educational, employment, and cultural experienced offered.)
Aiken has what you might be looking for
Aiken’s sunny weather is perfect for outdoor activities such as golf, nature walking, equestrian sports, bird-watching, tennis, and more. Aiken’s climate also complements the downtown area with its charming natural beauty. Our South Boundary Oaks are famous and were highlighted on the cover of Southern Living Magazine’s 2018 “South’s Best” edition.
- Aiken was voted 2018’s South’s Best Small Town, the South’s Friendliest Town, and was among the top South’s Best Food Towns by Southern Living Magazine.
- Aiken’s Willcox Hotel was voted South’s Best Hotel in 2019 and continues to be recognized in Travel & Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler.
- Woodside residents Cindy and Dick Rudisill are the owners of Cyndi’s Sweet Shoppe, which was recognized by Southern Living Magazine as one of the South’s best old-fashioned candy shops.
- Woodside earned “Best Walking Trails” by Ideal-Living Magazine because of its more than 15 miles of scenic walking trails added each year.
- Aiken is less than a 3-hour drive to the beaches of Hilton Head, Charleston, and Savannah, as well as the Blue Ridge Mountains. We like to say that we are “In the Middle of Everywhere!”
At Woodside, we are lucky to call Aiken our home, with a charming historic district, cultural art festivals, and an array of professional healthcare services catered towards your overall health.
But, how safe is it out of the community gates?
There are many gated communities where folks do not feel safe navigating the town or city in which their community resides. Here at Woodside, we are grateful we rank as the safest city in South Carolina – according to Alarms.org. Our low property crime rate and high ratio of law enforcement to residents will keep you feeling safe whether it’s going to the grocery store, local park, or to your favorite community event.
If you want to stay in your community, we also have you covered. Woodside offers over 60 resident-created clubs and activity groups, a brand-new Clyde Johnston and Fuzzy Zoeller-designed Hollow Creek Golf Course, an active calendar of social events, and numerous community-focused parks for residents.
Woodside residents also neighbor The Village at Woodside, a community amenity where you can live, work, eat and play. Residents have access to a world-class gym, several eateries, and healthcare professionals inside of The Village at Woodside.
Here are some benefits of Woodside’s gated community:
- Storage facilities to store your boat, motorcycle, or RV
- Home security features to ensure safety when away from home
- Family-minded community for those in Military or travel-heavy careers
Finding the right gated community doesn’t stop until you visit. Use the ideas above to narrow down your list of essential features a community should have and then check it out!
Interested in visiting Woodside? Learn more about our Discovery Package! A three-day retreat featuring a guided tour of Woodside Communities and historic Aiken for $249.